When we were younger – well almost all of us (if you’re not a part of this then you’re weird lol) – we were eager to grow older. We used to act dramas as older people and we just couldn’t wait to grow up and enjoy the freedom that those adults used to ‘enjoy’. A freedom that wasn’t so free after all. Unfortunately, we only got to know this bit after experiencing it ourselves and by then, it was too late to go back.
A lot of people seem to have this one moment in their life when they realize “Oh no!!! I’ve grown up 😓😓. Some people, like me, have many of these moments while some others have none because well, maybe they haven’t grown up 😂.
Well if you have had any of these moments, then you can relate with how scary it is momentarily to realize that you’re going to have to stand on your own two feet. Alone. I’ll be sharing some of these scary moments in my life with you and hopefully, some of you can relate.
It all began with some of the regular stuff like:
1. When I started getting my own seat in the Danfo (yellow buses used for commercial transportation in Lagos, Nigeria).
2. And I stopped fighting for the window seat. (Yes I used to do this).
3. I started appreciating the effort put into animated movies and cartoons instead of just watching blindly.
4. And I started willingly taking responsibility for things. Like wow Tomi! keep adulting babyyyyy 😁😁
Then it moved on to some tougher ones like:
5. When I had to start cooking my own food.
6. When I actually had to make plans for myself and follow through.
7. When whatever I needed stopped automatically falling in my laps when I asked.
8. And they started telling me to ‘Take responsibility!’
And then some changes I noticed in myself like:
9. When I started to prefer staying indoors to going out.
10. The concept of parties stopped exciting me. Any kind.
11. I stopped holding grudges over silly arguments.
12. And my friendship circle grew smaller but stronger.
13. I learned to let things go.
14. And when I want to go an expensive restaurant, I’m the one that started telling myself “there is rice at home”😂😂😂
Then there were the weird ones too like:
15. When little children started saying “Good morning ma” to me…. like girlllll you’re old😂😂 (I didn’t even know what my response was supposed to be).
16. And I was the one that had to give them ‘change to buy biscuit’.
17. When my mom started asking if there is ‘any man’. 🙄🙄
18. And family started asking for aso ebi. (Nigerian outfits made from matching fabric to be worn by a group of people to a party, wedding, or funeral as a uniform). P
19. When I started looking forward to sleep instead of dreading it.
20. And I could do whatever I wanted to do BUT I DIDN’T!!!
And I guess the biggest shocker of all was;
When I actually started understanding what my parents meant when they said “you’ll understand when you’re older”.
I’m still growing and I’ve learnt that it takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. So just in case you think you are doing badly, don’t beat up yourself darling, you’re doing great. No matter how bad you may seem at ‘adulting’, just remember that you’re courageous for even giving it a shot, because age doesn’t define maturity; some people will never grow up!
Most importantly keep this quote from Nina Dobrev in mind:
“Even though you’re growing up, you should never stop having fun.” So don’t worry mummy, I’m still having fun but very soon, I’ll bring man home😁😁
Thank you for reading. Please share your growing up experience with me in the comments section. I can’t wait to read them.
Your tiny eyed storyteller 😁